What is a Public Adjuster (PA)?

You are currently viewing What is a Public Adjuster (PA)?

A public adjuster (PA) represents the insured home or commercial property owner (the policyholder) in the preparation, presentation and settlement of property insurance claims. A qualified PA has specialized expertise that can simplify and speed up the complicated, time-consuming process of making and settling an insurance claim for property damage from fire, windstorm, hail, floods, hurricanes, and other disasters. A PA works only for you-not an insurance company, not a roofing company, not a repair company, or general contractor. A PA is an important protection for your rights as a policyholder.

When handling your claim for property loss, insurance companies use their own licensed claims adjusters or sometimes contract with licensed independent adjusters. Their job is to represent the insurance company’s interests. The public adjuster focuses only on your interests.

There are three types of insurance adjusters: Company adjusters who work for the insurance company; Independent adjusters, who may work for several insurance companies; and public adjusters, who work ONLY for the policyholder.